Monday, October 1, 2012

A Gift for My Siblings...from Deed

Below is a letter I gave to my brother and sister, just last week as we were celebrating Nannys 75th birthday (don't tell anyone).  Along with this letter I gave them a CD of my favorite music. 


A while ago you made a CD for me of some miscellaneous songs, I played it over and over, but alas I lost the CD.  I always wanted to repay the favor and I finally have accomplished it.  I hope you enjoy it. 
There are times in my life where I can step back and say that God did Bless me with a sister and brother, for without them I would not be who I am today.  They support me when I need them most and let me know (without any hesitation) when I am wrong.  I may be bruised and battered (from all those times you hit me with the boxing gloves) but I have come out stronger than before, mainly from listening to these songs.  Some are funny, some are serious and some give me energy to dance.
My style of music has changed over the years.  It used to be that I would listen to 80’s when I would travel home; this transpired to Van Morrison and now it is a mix of Rock-a-Billy Gospel.  Not only has my music changed, but my definition of “HOME” has as well.  For the word “home” to me is meeting my Savior and seeing everyone again.  But for the time being be encouraged to know that in the future when I drive up to see you and Lisa at Peabody Retirement Home I will be playing the following songs.  Maybe if you are lucky I will bring you a Cheeseburger and Cherry Coke from Mr. Daves! 
Love you very much and I will always keep you in my prayers! 

1.       Me n Opie                           BR549                    “the lost episode of the Andy Griffith Show”
      2.       She Left Me for Jesus    Hayes Carll         
                                                      “she says I should find him and I would know peace at last!”

      3.       Lights in the Valley          The Carolina Chocolate Drops     My tribute to Grandpa Messmore
      4.       Honey Bee                          Lucinda Williams                              
                                  The queen of modern rockabilly as I like to say, love her distinctive voice!
      5.       Tear the Woodpile Down             Marty Stuart     
                        I love his guitar style and true love for Bluegrass and Rockabilly
      6.       Little Lion Man                                  Mumford and Sons                        
      7.       The Winner                                        Kris Kristofferson
      8.       Pilgrim                                                  Steve Earle w/ the Del McCoury Band   
                        “the road was rocky along the way, but I was never traveling alone”
9.       I Ain’t Never Satisfied                    Steve Earle                         Makes me run faster on the treadmill
     10.   Waymore’s Blues                             Waylon Jennings             
          I still have the picture from Christmas 1981 when I opened the new Waylon Album, longtime
             fan of OUTLAW!
     11.   Six White Horse                                   Gillian Welch
     12.   If I Had My Way                                   Elizabeth Cook             These are true GOSPEL songs 12-17

13.   Gospel Plow

14.   Every Humble Knee Must Bow

15.   The Other Side of Life

16.   Hear Jerusalem Calling

17.   These Men of God

18.   Jesus
      19.   I’ve Never Been This Homesick Before               Paul Williams     
                                                   “this world has been a wilderness, I'm ready for deliverance”

No comments: