No particular order, just as they come to mind.
1. My sister Lisa's Beef and Noodles! This would be very close to the top of the list. SImply the best! She makes this at least once a year for me, but I think Ashton gets it more then I do. Not fair, but he is her son.
2. My Grandma Lilly's pickled eggs and beets. I still can see the glass tray she served them on usually for special occasions such as Easter. Me in my Easter dress, knee high socks and black patton leather shoes.
3. Grandma Messmore's white rice. Now this may seem simple, but she had a way of putting milk and sugar in the bowl that made it fabulous. I never could perfect this like she did. Another one of my favorites is her greasy eggs, bacon and toast. I always had to eat in the kitchen, she would pull out her butcher block drawer, I would pull up a foot stool strategically placed where I could see the TV in the living room, so I could watch Saturday morning cartoons. If it was during the week the milkman would stop by or Vern to get his daily report of what needed to be done.
4. Mody's sugar cookies. My family knows what I mean, they also look forward to them. Countless hours were spent at the Kennedys kitchen table with at least 5 bowls of icing for me to decorate the cookies. No wonder I was overweight in Jr. High. These cookies are the best, again I could never master this even when she gave me the recipe.
6. My friend Sherri makes an awesome birthday cake, that I get once a year at least. Chocolate with cream icing in the middle of the the layers. She also makes a great stroganoff and taco salad. I loved the MOPS breakfasts!
7. Now this may seem odd, but I did like my Moms chipped beef and gravey. Don't know why, but that is one meal that sticks out. I will give my Mom credit, she did have a meal on the table every night until my brother moved out. Then it was just easier to go to Akron to get an upside down banana split or hot fudge sundae. I remember that we usually had supper on the table no later then 5:00, it seemed like. We would watch Andy Griffith and my brother would just laugh. Life was simple then, sometimes you want to go back, just to relive one day.
8. Last but not least, my mother-in-law's brownies. Simply the best! It is a cake brownie with awesome icing. Not long ago we found out that only Grandma can make these. Julie tried to make some and found out from Kennedy that they didn't taste like Grandma's. Oh well, we can't all be perfect like Grandma!
Bon Appetite!
No comments:
Post a Comment